This past Friday night John Henry's school sponsored a "Mother/Son Masquerade Dance". I'm not sure who was more excited about the dance - me or John Henry. I've known about the dance for a couple of months and in that time I tried to think of possible costume choices for the two of us - something fun & original. My first thought was for us to go as Dorothy and the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. We went costume shopping one Friday afternoon several weeks ago and found the Tin Man costume for John Henry. He tried it on and looked absolutely precious! But when mommy tried on her Dorothy costume, well, let's just say the "absolutely precious" did not apply to me! So, we kept looking. My wonderful 5 year old found costume after costume for me, some of which were not appropriate for an elementary school dance and most which did not meet mommy's size requirement :) (I love that he thinks I can pull off a super slim Batgirl, Catwoman, I Dream of Jeanie look) Finally, about two weeks ago one of my friends and I hit a costume store that has a large supply of $5.99 costumes and there, in the racks was a Velma costume and it fit. I found a Scooby Doo costume for the same price (yay me) and bought an $8 wig later that afternoon and my Velma glasses at the dollar tree. I was so excited that I had not only found costumes, but that I had found everything so cheap! I got home and showed them to John Henry and to my wonderful hubby to which they both asked, "Why didn't you get Daphne?" (the hotter, slimmer girl on the show) to which I replied, "Daphne is not intended to be plus size!" SOOO, the big day arrived and my little man and I headed to the masquerade dance as Velma and Scooby Doo and we had an absolute blast! I was talking with a group of moms when the first slow song came on. After a few moments, John Henry came up to me and somewhat agitated asked, "Are you going to dance with me or not??!!" It was a precious moment and a wonderful night. I always thought that I would be a girl mommy - I never really pictured myself with boys. But the moment each of my boys was placed in my arms I knew that I was supposed to be a boy mommy, they have captured my heart and the bond we share is indescribable. As I danced that first dance with my sweet boy, I couldn't help but think of dancing with him on his wedding day (IF I allow him to leave me, that is) :) and how quickly time is flying by. I didn't want the night to end, but it did and I am left with precious memories of a very special date with my little man. Now, I have 12 months to prepare for next year's masquerade dance and maybe if I lose the weight, we could go as Batman and Catwoman and if I don't - Batman and the Penguin... :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a super cute costume idea! Y'all look scooby-rific!
Thanks for the sweet words on my blog about my Daddy. I teared up reading it! Prayers are making a difference and he gets a little better everyday! Check out the details on my blog. Yes, I am a BIG Daddy's girl and always have been! See you soon!
That is SO cute!!!! email me i you would like me to redesign your blog!! :)
ashton
Post a Comment